Research on the Ernie Casto Family:
This tells you something about my sense of humor—last night I researched Bert’s family so tonight I’m searching for any Ernie Castos!
[Little Trivia: Did you know that Bert & Ernie from Sesame Street were named after Bert & Ernie from “It’s a Wonderful Life”?]
From Jackson Co., WV Births 1853-1950, pages 56, 59:
Casto, Earnest 3-14-1896 son of Joel and Polly Casto of Staats Mill
Casto, Erna A. 9-2-1912 dau of E.D. and Mary E. Casto of Given
Casto, Ernest D. 8-19-1868 son of George R. & Margaret Casto of Jackson Co.
Casto, Ernest Otmer 3-16-1912 son of William Monroe & Mary Matilda (Westfall) Casto of Ripley
Casto, Ernie Alice 9/1912 child of Earnest & Mollie Casto of Given
From The Combined Casto Collection of David Leroy Casto and James H. Casto:
Page 193: Ernest Casto born 14 March 1896, died 11 May 1966. On 14 April 1916 married Ada Margaret Crihfield, born 1897, died 1989, daughter of William Hickman and Rachel Jane (Rhodes) Crihfield. Children:
1. Esta Mae Casto, b. 1-29-1917, married Lafayette Parsons on April 27, 1938
2. Laura Casto, b. 8-18-1920, married Senit Basil Hutton on June 22, 1935.
3. Fannie Casto, b. 1924, married Austin Joseph Cobb on July 1, 1941.
4. Richard E. Casto, b. 5-22-1927, married Claris A. Robertson on June 10, 1950.
5. Clair J. Casto (m), b. 1-17-1930, married Neva Fay Casto (f) on May 8, 1949
6. Mildred Casto, b. 7-11-1932, married William Odie Casto on Jan. 28, 1950
7. Nellie Lorene Casto, b. 3-4-1935
8. Stillborn Boy Casto, born/died 5-28-1938.
Page 54: Ernest Clay Casto born 6 June 1898. On 5 Sept 1918 married Myrtle Hutton daughter of Thomas and Sophronia Hutton. Children known:
1. Dencil Mayford Casto, b. 8-7-1919
2. Clovis Dexter Casto, b. 9-27-1920
3. Iris Nadine Casto, b. 12-28-1921
4. Unknown Daughter, b. 6-22-1923 <—- see below
5. Unknown Son, b. 8-10-1924 <— see below
Page 320: Ernest DeKalb Casto born 19 August 1868 (JCBR), died 7 April 1941. On 28 March 1889 (JCMR) married Mary Etta “Mollie” Waugh born 24 Jan 1871, died 25 Sept 1938 daughter of John William and Martha Maryland (Foglesong) Waugh. Children:
1. Howard Arthur Casto, b. 1-9-1890 married (1) Mary Parsons (2) Eva Mae Lewis
2. Manora Wanona Casto, b. 4-12-1892 married Londus Theodore Bowles
3. Elben Glenmer “Glen” Casto, b. 12-3-1894, married (1) Della Burke French (2) Violet Martin
4. William Luther Casto, b. 1896, married Hattie O’Dell Entzminger
5. Carrie Lona Casto, b. 12-23-1898, married James Arthur Ferrell
6. Charles Everett Casto married Jesse Lillie Walker
7. Ada Marilyn Casto, b. 8-23-1903, married Wilmer Otha Raines
8. Lucy Elah Casto, b. 11-18-1905, married Earl O. Sigmon
9. Etta Leolia Casto, b. Dec. 1907, married Donald E. Williams
10. Laura Agatha Casto, b. 11-17-1909, married Forrest Gale Given
11. Erva Alice Casto, b. 9-2-1912, married Dale Charles Norris
12. Ernest Lowhan Casto married Arlene Mae Croskey
1940 Medina Co., OH Census—Liverpool:
Earnest Casto, age 20, was living with the Ottenbacher family as a hired man.
Ernest D. & Mollie Casto in Dunbar, Kanawha Co., WV
Earnest & Ada Casto in Washington, Jackson Co., WV
Earnest & Lillie Casto in Walnut, Bates, MO
Earnest Casto in Tygart, Wood, WV
Ernest Casto in Beloit, Mahoning, OH
Earnest Casto in Turlock, Stanislaus, CA
Earnest Casto in Wilson, Atoka, OK
World War II Draft Registration:
Earnest Casto born March 14, 1896 in Belgrove, WV
World War II Army Enlistment Records:
Ernest L. Casto, b. 1916, entered Nov. 19, 1942 in Akron, OH
Earnest E. Casto, b. 1919, entered Apr. 9, 1942 in Cleveland, OH
World War I Draft Registration:
Earnest Casto born March 14, 1896 in WV
Earnest Clay Casto born June 6, 1898 in WV
WV Culture Center Records—Deaths:
Earney Casto 6-7-1890 Jackson Co.
Earnest Casto 3-11-1966 Jackson Co.
Ernestine Casto 1909 Jackson Co.
Ernest D. Casto 4-6-1941 Kanawha Co.
Ernel Casto 6-28-1931 McDowell Co.
Ernestine Fairfax Casto 11-27-1955 Roane Co.
Ernest Paul Casto 8-12-1927 Upshur Co.
So after this mad dash of record grabbing, a couple of things caught my eye and just needed to be delved into:
Ernest Clay Casto had two children without names.
1930 Jackson Co., WV Census—Washington
Casto, George 52
Earl 3 11/12
Ernie Alice Casto??? Well, as you saw above, her name was really Erva Alice Casto and she married Dales Charles Norris. I found them on the 1940 census
1940 Stark Co., OH Census—Bethlehem:
Norris, Dale 25 b. OH
Erva A. 27 b. WV
Hogue, Clifton J. 4 step-son b. WV
Norris, Forest W. 5/12 son b. OH
I found Erva’s obituary on Findagrave [with several wonderful pictures of the Casto family]:
“Mrs. Erva Casto Norris, 63, of Massillon, formerly of Dunbar, W.Va., died Saturday Jan 17, 1976 in Massillon City Hospital.
She was the daughter of the late Ernest D. & Mary “Molly” Casto. Surviving: husband Charles D. Norris; son, Forrest Norris of Bolivar, Ohio;
daughter, Mrs. Anna Myers of Massillon; brothers, Everett Casto of Canton, Ohio, Ernest Casto of Navarre, Ohio; sisters, Mrs. Manona Bowles of
St. Albans, W. Va., Mrs. Carrie Ferrell and Mrs. Leola Williams of Point Pleasant, W. Va., Mrs. Lura Given of Dunbar, Mrs. Ada Raines and Mrs. Lucy Sigmon
of Kissimmee, Fla.
Service will be Wednesday—in Gordon Hollinger Funeral Home, Massillon, Ohio. Burial will be in Union Lawn Cemetery, Navarre, Ohio.
Her husband died the same year.